Sunday, March 10, 2013

Curricullum: Memoria

People often ask me what different curricula or programs we use.  I am going to spend the next couple of weeks sharing what we have been using this year.   I hope it is helpful as you begin to attend conventions and think about next year.

In the last two years I have been using Memoria Press's all inclusive grade level programs called Classical Core Curriculum.     I have used this with my daughter for Kindergarten and First Grade.  I have been extremely pleased with this program.  My daughter has become an excellent reader and has a great foundation for the rest of her school years.

The program is phonics based with a great deal of practice.  When I talked to their representative at the Homeschool Convention they told me it was the same program that they used in their Highland Latin Schools.  I asked what percentage of children come out reading at the end of the program and they told me all of them.  (remember they only take kids into their program if they feel they will succeed)  So if your child is developmentally ready to read this is a good fit.  If they are not ready for Kindergarten they have a Junior Kindergarten program that would work well for a year.  I love the title and think it would be a good fit for late summer birthdays or those who are just not ready to learn intensively for another year.

When I heard the writer of the program speak Cheryl Lowe, she was delightful.  She talked about how this is an outline of suggested activities for 5 days per week.   She said as home educators you should feel free to use it how it works best for your family.  They sell all the parts for this program separately as well.

Next year I am using the Kindergarten again for my next daughter.  I think I will use parts of second grade and have my daughter follow what the older kids are currently using for language arts. 

More on language arts next week.
~ Becky


No comments:

Post a Comment