Sunday, June 09, 2013

Fun Find. . and do you remember??

I love to find things at thrift and resale shops.  I shop at one frequently that is associated with a school.  I was combing the aisles when I found a cassette tape of one of my favorite stories From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.  .  It was 25 cents and I decided we would listen to this on one of our ailing tape recorders.


But then I opened it up and saw this. . .
I thought I saw a "check-out card."    I was laughing and took it out to show my kids. 
I told them about how you had to write your name on a card and turn it in to check out books.  But, then it got better.
As I sifted through the cards I then found card catalog cards.  I shouted to my husband to have him come and see.  He and I laughed and talked about going through the card catalog to search for items in high school.  This particular pack had subjects like New York City-Fiction, Newberry Award Books, and Record or Tape.  Our children gave us that confused look.  You know the one where you look at living history (us) and think, " Really?"  We proceeded to tell them how challenging and time consuming  it could be to do research.  Searching for topics in large drawers.  In the end we both smiled and felt a little older.

But, it was still a very fun walk down memory lane.  I told my librarians the story and they told me that card catalogs are hot collectors items currently.  Apparently used as furniture and not as card catalogs.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is wonderful, let alone the content!


    Here is my webpage - athletic director jobs in texas ()

    ReplyDelete