Saturday, October 18, 2014

Myths about Home Education

The year is underway, and hopefully you are getting in the groove of home education.  After having the privilege of talking to many home educators in person and through my business, I have found that I am not alone in believing some homeschool myths. Though none of us believe them every day, it is easy to let them slip in.


Myth:  I think his her homeschool day always flows way better than mine.
Fact:  Sometimes his/her day is better than yours, but sometimes yours day is better than theirs.  That sounds so simple, but when you are alone at your house and watching chaos ensue it is easy to believe that myth.  

Myth:  When others homeschool, their children sit around the table and smile up at them, complete their work without complaint, and do what they are supposed to do. 
Fact: Most families' kids are probably like yours and occasionally argue, act stubborn, and maybe even cry about doing their work.  (Of course, I have only heard about other children doing this.☺)

Myth:  Other people do so many amazing things with their kids all day long, while I am just trying to get through the day! 
Fact:  You do amazing things with your kids.  I have looked at hundreds and hundreds of portfolios over the past five years.  I have never looked at a family that did not do at least one thing amazingly well.  I never cease to be amazed at the creativity and ideas that flow from people.  If you are home educating each day, you are doing something amazing!

Myth:  Home Educated Children are always very grateful that you are home educating them, and regularly tell you.     
Fact:  You care about your children and are pouring out your life for them.  They occasionally will say something nice, but they are kids.  How many of us were that grateful to our parents until we left home?  Hopefully we can help cultivate grateful hearts, but know that kids are kids.








2 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I love your honesty here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I really appreciate your comment! Have a great week!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete